Small-Removable-Multiple-Batteries VS Large-Single-Battery

capacity
watt-hours
battery

There seems to be a fairly distinct trend occurring with electric skateboards that are currently on the market today.

We are seeing two separate group or styles of electric skateboards emerging that are defined by the battery size.

They are;

SMALL (REMOVABLE) - Commonly 99wh

-VS-

LARGER (REMOVABLE & NON-REMOVABLE) - X3, X4, X5 & X6 More Capacity

In no specific order, let’s list some of the PROS & CONS of having a Smaller Battery / Larger Battery

• This is probably the biggest benefit of small batteries, Air Travel. You cannot legally fly with big batteries. In most airlines, you are limited to carrying 2x 99wh batteries in your hand luggage.

• Be aware that the 99wh Airline rules could change at any time…

• Small batteries are much lighter in weight than larger batteries, so the overall board weight when a small 99wh battery is installed should be much less than a board that uses a large battery. However, If you do want extended range you might be carrying extra weight in your backpack.

• Small batteries generally charge faster, because they don’t hold as much energy. Example: You can fill a cup quicker than you can fill a bucket.

• However, Small batteries can’t be charged too quickly, specifically the current that can be put into a smaller pack. The larger your battery, specifically the greater the number of cells in parallel, the more current the pack can handle during charging. Example: It is like filling your bucket with a fire hose VS filling your cup with the tap in your kitchen.

• Big batteries are really expensive, especially if they are made from premium cells. So this means if you want a big battery the price of your esk8 will generally be much higher. So do the sums, work out what range you need for your daily commutes and buy a battery that can hold the appropriate amount of energy. As a rough guide 10WH = 1Km

• Batteries are consumables, they won’t last forever. The life expectancy of a battery can be negatively affected if they are over discharged. This tends to be more common in smaller batteries as they can be depleted much quicker. Larger batteries tend to be a bit more robust when it comes to abuse. It’s much harder do damage a big battery from over discharging. Alought true, this is a very generalized statement, in fact, the chemistry of the battery and the settings in your BMS & Motor controller play a huge role here, but that is beyond the scope of this article.

• Big batteries don’t tend to be flexible (possible but not common). Actually, nor do smaller batteries either, but if your deck is flexible you will be better off with a smaller battery that is positioned away from the center of the deck where the most flex occurs, this is what we see with the boosted boards design. They cannot make the battery any longer without making it flexible.

• NOTE: Boosted Boards battery is small 99wh & also not easily swappable in the field. Boosted also offer a larger (medium size) battery.

• High-Performance electric skateboards generally will always have big batteries 400wh-650wh. This is because achieving high performance requires higher current output. The more current you draw from a battery pack the quicker it is depleted, so engineers need to make the battery larger otherwise the functional range per charge would be diminished and the pack life will be diminished from over discharging. It’s worth noting that there are certain design restraints on electric skateboards that do eventually limit battery size… total weight, wheelbase, cost.

ARE THERE MORE FACTORS TO CONSIDER WHEN IT COMES TO BATTERY SIZE?
Let me know your thoughts, what would you prefer on your next electric skateboard?

I’d like to add that bigger pack also opens the possibility to not charge the board as often or not to deplete the pack as deeply (while also staying in 'high power / high speed ’ battery life range more)

One more good feature, which is already mentioned in the article, is the possibility to fast charge without causing much harm to the battery…

10Ah pack would need 10amps, to reach 1C charge rate, for example.

I have different types of boards and combine several small 10s1p battery packs to 10s2p or 10s3p configurations depending on my needs. This gives me flexibility and allows me to fly with big total battery capacities. Only downside is that each pack includes its own BMS but I can live with that, it works well and lets me charge easily.

That’s definitely the approach I would favor! How come bigger batteries such as the Raptor 2’s battery cannot be divided right from initial engineering into smaller packs that can then be paralleled following needs?

technically speaking we can split packs into smaller groups, but it makes the battery much more complex, the price also increases, this size of the pack increase due to extra parts.

Possible definitely!

One advantage of swappable packs would be that you can easily replace it once it becomes worn out, without sending in / opening up the skateboard.

I agree. A bigger battery lessens the chance of over-discharge abuse.